Food Technology involves a blend of physical, chemical or microbiological processes and techniques for transforming raw ingredients into food and also other forms in food processing industry. Food processing refers to converting the raw ingredients into edible components or transforming food into other edible forms. Food Technology deals with the various chemical processes that food products undergo to make them consumable and ready to market. Food processors typically take clean, harvested crops or butchered animal products and use them to produce attractive, marketable food products with long shelf-life. Similar processes apply to animal feed.
With food technology becoming a popular course amongst students, universities these days are conducting varies graduate and post graduate programmes for students, these programmes are:
- B.E. Food Technology
- B.Sc. Food Technology
- B.Sc. Microbial and food technology
- B.Sc. Food Science and Quality control
- B.tech Food Technology
- Diploma in Food Technology
- M.E. Food Technology
- M.Sc. Food Technology
- M.Tech Food Technology
- Ph.D. Food Technology
To become a food scientist you are required to complete your 10+2 in science stream with physics, chemistry, biology and math as main subjects. The graduation can be done by any recognized university or college in a field which is related to food technology. You should have thorough knowledge of subjects like food biology, food biotechnology, microbiology, food packaging, food preservatives and additives, logistic management, marketing, etc.
The duration of these programmes is between 1year- 5years.
- As organic chemists, food technologist advises on the methods by which the raw materials have to be converted into processed food.
- As biochemists, they suggest improvements in flavor, texture, storage, and quality.
- As home economists, they become the expert in dietetics and nutrition and they test the food and recipes according to the directions on the containers.
- As engineers, they are required for planning, designing, improving and maintaining the processing systems.
- As research scientists, they carry out experiments regarding improvement in yield, flavor, nutritive value and general acceptability of the packaged food.
- As managers and accountants, they manage administration and the finances apart from supervising the processing work. The areas where one can find employment in this industry are:
- Food processing companies and food research laboratories
- Food wholesalers
- Catering establishments
- Restaurants provide employment to candidates with degrees in home science and specializations in food technology, nutrition or food services management. Diploma holders in dietetics, applied nutrition, food science and preservation and those having certificate in dietetics or food and nutrition can also be employed in this industry.
- Bacteriologist, toxicologists and those trained in packaging technology, organic chemistry, biochemistry and analytical chemistry can find opening food technology laboratories or in quality control departments.
- A number of public sector undertakings in the department of food also require people in this field. The Food Corporation of India, which handles the purchase, storage transport and distribution of food grains and other food items, provide employment to large number of people. Modern Food Corporation which markets bread, fruit juices, edible oils, soft drink concentrates and North-Eastern Agricultural Marketing Corporation which markets and process fruits and vegetables also recruits people.
- Self-employment opportunities also exist in the form of dynamic delivery networks for those who want to work on their own.
- Private sector companies have been the key players in the food sector and even companies like ITC are now moving into the sector, seeing the potential in processed foods.
Seven Educon is one of the Top Educational Consultant in India for Indian & Overseas Education. We have specialized division for Food Technology Study assistance in India as well as abroad. We are helping students to appear exams in India to Study Food Technology Abroad. We also guide students to choose suitable college as per their choice from Top abroad Food Technology Courses.
Seven Educon provides curriculum of all types of Food Technology Courses also suggests best country to study Food Technology. We are the most trusted Food Technology Study Abroad Consultant in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane.
Seven Educon also helps students to get scholarships to study abroad Food Technology.
Students helped us to secure brand name for top overseas education consultant in India for Food Technology study in abroad and best overseas education consultant in India for Food Technology study in abroad.