Engineering is the application of science and math to solve problems. Engineers figure out how things work and find practical uses for scientific discoveries. Scientists and inventors often get the credit for innovations that advance the human condition, but it is engineers who are instrumental in making those innovations available to the world.
Engineers design, evaluate, develop, test, modify, install, inspect and maintain a wide variety of products and systems. They also recommend and specify materials and processes, supervise manufacturing and construction, conduct failure analysis, provide consulting services and teach engineering courses in colleges and universities.
The field of engineering is divided into a large number of specialty areas:
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Aerospace engineering
- Nuclear engineering
- Structural engineering
- Biomedical engineering
- Chemical engineering
- Computer engineering
- Industrial engineering
- Environmental engineering
here is often considerable overlap among the different specialties. For this reason, engineers need to have a general understanding of several areas of engineering besides their specialty. For example, a civil engineer needs to understand concepts of structural engineering, an aerospace engineer needs to apply principles of mechanical engineering, and nuclear engineers need a working knowledge of electrical engineering.
Particularly, engineers require in-depth knowledge of mathematics, physics and computer applications such as simulations and computer-aided design. This is why most college programs include basic engineering courses in a wide range of topics before students choose to specialize in a particular area.
Engineering is one of the most popular choices among Indian students. In India, engineering courses are available in the following main formats –
- Diploma in Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. (Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology)
- M.E. or M.Tech. (Master of Engineering or Master of Technology)
- PhD programs
Diploma in Engineering programs are 3 years long. There exists numerous Diploma Engineering programs in India, which focus on a particular branch (for example – mechanical, electrical, civil etc).
10th and/or 12th passed students are eligible to pursue Diploma in engineering programs. In India, Government and Private polytechnics are known to offer these courses.
After completing Diploma in Engineering program, candidates may secure admission right into the second academic year of a relevant B.E. or B.Tech. program. This entry is called lateral entry.
B.E. or B.Tech. programs are 4 years long. There exists numerous B.E. and B.Tech. programs in India, which focus on a particular branch (for example – mechanical, electrical, civil etc).
10+2 passed with Science stream (PCM subjects) is the minimum eligibility required to pursue B.E. or B.Tech. programs (PCM and/or B subjects in cases of few branches). In India, there exists numerous Government and Private Engineering colleges, which offer these courses.
M.E. and M.Tech. are Master’s level programs. The academic program is 2 years long. The minimum qualification required to pursue M.E. or M.Tech. is – passed relevant B.E. or B.Tech. program.
PhD programs are Doctoral level programs. You must have completed relevant Master’s Degree course in order to take up a PhD program! Since this article is about engineering courses after 12th, we will focus solely on Diploma, B.E. and B.Tech. programs only. Here we go –
ENGINEERING COURSES AFTER 12TH
As I mentioned before, there are numerous branches within the broad field of engineering. It is based on these branches that we have B.E., B.Tech. and Diploma in Engineering programs
B.E. OR B.TECH. COURSES
Here are some notable B.E. or B.Tech. courses (based on various engineering branches) –
- B.E. or B.Tech. Mechanical Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Electrical Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Civil Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Chemical Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Computer Science Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. IT Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. IC Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. EC Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Electronics Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Petroleum Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Aeronautical Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Aerospace Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Automobile Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Mining Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Biotechnology Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Genetic Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Plastics Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Food Processing and Technology
- B.E. or B.Tech. Agricultural Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Dairy Technology and Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Agricultural Information Technology
- B.E. or B.Tech. Power Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Production Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Infrastructure Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Motorsport Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Metallurgy Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Textile Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Environmental Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Marine Engineering
- B.E. or B.Tech. Naval Architecture
Duration: Course duration is 4 years.
There also exists 5 years long integrated programs. Notable integrated programs are –
- B.E./B.Tech. + M.E./M.Tech.
- B.E./B.Tech. + MBA
In order to secure admission into reputed engineering colleges, one must crack relevant entrance tests! Some of the notable entrance tests are – JEE, state-wise tests and institute-wise tests.
DIPLOMA IN ENGINEERING COURSES
Here are some notable Diploma courses (based on various engineering branches) –
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Civil Engineering
- Diploma in Chemical Engineering
- Diploma in Mining Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Science Engineering
- Diploma in Marine Engineering
- Diploma in EC Engineering
- Diploma in IC Engineering
- Diploma in Metallurgy
- Diploma in Sound Engineering
- Diploma in Textile Engineering
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Dairy Technology
- Diploma in Power Engineering
Duration & Eligibility:
Course duration is 3 years. 10th and/or 12th passed students are eligible to pursue Diploma in engineering courses!
With the shift system being introduced in polytechnic and engineering colleges, there is tremendous squeeze in the job markets. Hence, fresh engineering graduates should be alert in grabbing the opportunities coming their way or take up higher studies.
Every engineering branch has its significance. It depends on the choice of the student. Today most jobs are available in service sector. EEE students are mostly absorbed in the core sector unlike ECE. Core sector means sectors like power. EEE has many opportunities and students are not opting for it due to lack of awareness.
Any engineering course has lot of scope. Any raw material to be converted into a product, it has to undergo many processes involving chemicals. Almost everything we use is chemically processed. India’s top industrialists like Mukesh Ambani and others are chemical engineers. You can join any manufacturing industry and go towards research and development. A student of chemical engineer can also specialize in various fields like biotechnology, environmental engineering and others. If you want to move into service industry like IT, which has many branches, then functional knowledge is necessary.
Every branch offers good employment opportunity. Engineering is a design-oriented subject. Design involves problem solving. If you become a good problem solver, every branch of engineering offers you job opportunity. You are advised to go through the subjects taught in each branch and decide which branch is most interesting to you.
As the field of engineering incorporates new technologies, the appropriate scope of undergraduate education in engineering continues to grow. It appears unlikely that course breadth can be widened to accommodate this growth, at every institution, by increasing the length of the undergraduate engineering curriculum. Therefore, with increases in breadth must come sacrifices in depth of coverage for many subjects.
Seven Educon is one of the Top Educational Consultant in India for Indian & Overseas Education. We have specialized division for Engineering Study assistance in India as well as abroad. We are helping students to appear exams in India to Study Engineering Abroad. We also guide students to choose suitable college as per their choice from Top abroad Engineering Courses.
Seven Educon provides curriculum of all types of Engineering Courses also suggests best country to study Engineering. We are the most trusted Engineering Study Abroad Consultant in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai & Thane.
Seven Educon also helps students to get scholarships to study abroad Engineering.
Students helped us to secure brand name for top overseas education consultant in India for Engineering study in abroad and best overseas education consultant in India for Engineering study in abroad.